Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Do you Exercise while on Vacation or Traveling for Work?

While on vacation last week I was wondering to myself if other people exercise while traveling. I was already planning a week off from exercise so I didn't but I have in the past and sometimes I do enjoy working out while traveling. Looking back I probably should have spent some time in the evening doing some stretching or basic yoga but at the time I didn't feel like it.

I think the most significant obstacle to working out while traveling is having a place to do it. If your hotel doesn't have a gym your options are already limited. You could try your room but many hotel rooms lack adequate space for exercise. There is always the option of going for a run but for people such as myself who don't enjoy running this isn't much of an alternative. The next incumberance is time which stops many people from exercising while at home let alone on the road. Long days and modified schedules don't lend themselves to finding time for the gym but exercise can help to normalize your day and improve your sleep.

One factor which can keep me from exercise on vacation is all the walking I do during the day. My wife and I often rely on public transit while on vacation but still spend hours everyday walking from different sites and places to get food and drink. This is already a significant amount of exercise so additional cardio probably wouldn't be warranted. I still remember a few months back while in Stockholm I discovered that my gym had a large selection of free weights including a squat rack. I decided that I desperately needed to do some squats and went at it pretty hard and heavy. I found walking extremely challenging which made all the walking on vacation seem like a monumental task. Needless to say resistance exercise might not be worth it on vacation too (although I did feel more justified in savaging the breakfast buffet after my workout).

So do you exercise while on vacation or traveling? I look forward to reading your thoughts and comments.

And for your viewing pleasure a few pictures from my trip to Bergamo and Milan, Italy.









No comments:

Post a Comment